Often our veterans are forgotten and need a little help or an uplifting thought. Many in their later years find themselves in the hospital or nursing home with no family or support system during the holidays. Our community can thank veterans by remembering them at Christmas time with a simple gift. Abenschone Chapter, NSDAR filled 51 shoeboxes with necessary items, a few little surprises and a Christmas card wishing them a happy holiday and/or thanking them for their service and for keeping America free.
The boxes were distributed to veterans in Eureka Springs, Holiday Island, Berryville, and Green Forest to:
- Autumn Hill Nursing Home (Berryville) – 6 boxes
- Prestige Assisted Living (Holiday Island) – 3 boxes (one female veteran recipient)
- Berryville Senior Community Center (Meals on Wheels Veteran recipients) – 29 boxes
- Peach Tree Village Assisted Living (Holiday Island) – 2 boxes
- Holiday Island 92 year-old female veteran (resident) – 1 box
- Cup of Love Ministry, Eureka Springs – 10 boxes